UNESCO Cambodia is now hiring Programme Manager (Education)Contract UNESCO Cambodia
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
UNESCO has been designated as the Grant Agent (GA) for Global Partnership for Education Programme (GPE) in Cambodia to support the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports (MoEYS) in implementing the Strengthening Teacher Education Programme in Cambodia (STEPCam) over the period 2018 ‐2021.
Under the overall guidance of the UNESCO Representative in Cambodia and direct supervision of the Programme Specialist in Education, the STEPCam Programme Manager who is responsible for the daliy management of the programme, will provide the required technical support to the MoEYS, to implement the five components of STEPCam in an effective and accountable manner.
The STEPCam Programme Manager will guide the implementation process and the preparation of relevant documentation and technical reports as stipulated in the programme documents and the Implementation Partnership Agreement (IPA) between the MoEYS and UNESCO, as well as with the GPE Secretariat. This includes the preparation of technical and financial reports, monitoring and supporting the STEPCam implementation mechanisms at the MoEYS to ensure timely release of funding. Further, the STEPCam Programme Manager will support coordination with Joint Technical Working Group on Education (JTWG‐ Education) and the Coordinating Agency to ensure programme synergies and mobilize support for STEPCam.
In particular, the Programme Manager will:
- Support the STEPCam Program Management Task Force to ensure management and coordination of all inputs to implement and deliver the desired STEPCam outcomes.
- Ensure the timely co‐ordination of the preparation and submission of all reports specified by the IPA and the operation manual: monthly, quarterly and annual, for timely processing the release of the programme grant.
- Monitor the implementation of the annual operational plans and budgets, ensuring timely delivery, that spending corresponds to approved workplans and budget components and that issues of imbalances, if any, are addressed. This includes regular monitoring and supervision missions to provinces, teachers training centres and schools.
- Provide oversight of the Technical Assistant (TA) support to the counterparts and work with Project Management Task Force (PMTF) to ensure that necessary measures are in place for effective work and co‐ operation.
- Ensure that all tasks and responsibilities are carried out on time, within budget, and in accordance with the basic principles of good governance and transparency.
- Facilitate effective communication and co‐ordination on STEPCam within UNESCO and with the JTWG‐ Education, Education Sector Working Group (ESWG Members), GPE Secretariat, Coordinating Agency, and Grant Agent in accordance with established guidelines and procedures; as well as project‐related negotiations, where required.
- Assist PMTF Chair in reception of delegations of various natures (GPE secretariat, UNESCO HQ or regional monitoring, overseas delegations (e.g. ASEAN), other DPs, and others as requested and appropriate).
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
- Communication (C)
- Accountability (C)
- Innovation (C)
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
- Planning and organizing (C)
- Results focus (C)
- Teamwork (C)
- Professionalism (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in education, economics, management, development, public administration or related social sciences field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum of 4 years of progressively responsible relevant professional experience in managing education projects/programmes, of which preferably at least 3 years at the international level.
- Experience in designing and implementing education projects, working closely with senior government officials.
- Experience in project management, including procurement of services, hiring and management of technical assistance.
Skills and competencies
- Demonstrated ability to lead, manage and motivate staff and to maintain effective working relationships in a multicultural environment.
- Excellent judgement and decision‐making abilities including ability to participate effectively in high‐level negotiations with internal and external partners; strong sense of objectivity and professional integrity, diplomacy, tact and political astuteness.
- Solid skills in consolidating and analyzing various sources of information, synthesizing into effective information‐tool for appropriate target audience and strong drafting skills
- Strong knowledge of education and global development issues and good understanding of teacher education issues.
- Demonstrated expertise in project management, in particular education projects and programmes.
- Knowledge of ICT systems commensurate with the requirements of reporting, communication and presentation relating to the project implementation.
- Excellent knowledge (oral and written) on English.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.