Energy Economist (Open for National or International Consultant)Contract UNDP Cambodia
In close collaboration and cooperation with Energy Team based at MEF, the individual consultant will undertake the following tasks. Outputs from these tasks should be practical at field level than to remain as theoretical analysis.
- Conduct a detailed cost and benefit analysis (CBA) of different electricity generation systems with a detailed cost assessment of electricity pricing for each production phases (generation, transmission, distribution and retail segments) of Cambodia’s energy market. This analysis must include its generation potential, implementation timeline and investment analysis. Investment analysis shall consider uncertainties related to the monetary values (e.g. buying cost, rate of interest, maintenance cost, future cost of energy, etc.), and parameters which affect the monetary quantities (e.g. anticipated life time of the product,
- malfunctions frequency, expected saving of conventional energy, variability of meteorological conditions, uncertainties related to the performance testing results of the systems etc.);
- Analysis of different energy mix scenarios to achieve optimal cost of electricity generation and to reduce the electricity blackout rate in the case of Cambodia;
- Analysis of electricity market structure that best suits Cambodia’s current context monopolistic/oligopolistic or competitive market for generation, through survey of regulatory policies, its influence on electricity prices and forecasting techniques for assessing electricity price. This analysis must consider influence of energy efficiency on the price of electricity;
- Assessment of Time of Use (TOU) tariff impact on different type of consumers and rooftop solar users including an analysis on energy security, grid stability, capacity charge, energy tariff rate for peak and low loads using the real time data;
- Conduct training on the CBA to Energy Team personnel at MEF;
- Prepare a roadmap and capacity assessment to establish an energy unit in the MEF. The roadmap shall include the mandates of the unit and capacity building plan; and
- An assessment of financing options for investments in energy sector in Cambodia to improve reliability and affordability for consumers connected to low voltage line. This assessment shall include a section for electrification of 1,037 villages that are difficult to reach with grid extension by using possible investments in renewable and alternative energy sources.
- Technical Competencies:
- Strong knowledge of government policies in power/energy sector and strategies related to the RE and EE measures;
- Past practices in developing training modules in energy planning, conversion technologies, and demand side management is an added advantage;
- Excellent organizational skills, especially for facilitating meetings and writing reports; and
- Good interpersonal/communication skills.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
Required Skills and Experience
- At least postgraduate degree in Electrical/Power Engineering and/or Energy Economics or a related discipline or a combination of appropriate Bachelor and Postgraduate degrees;
- At least 7 years of work experience in fields of energy markets, regulatory policies, economic analysis and/or financing of energy systems, energy management and process engineering sector particularly in the field of implementation of high-impact, cost-effective energy management and process engineering solutions;
- Demonstrated experience working with governments and international organizations in a developing country context, where such experience in south-east Asia is an added advantage;
- Demonstrated experience in implementing community level energy solutions;
- Experience in liaising and working with stakeholders, in particular public and private sector parties
- Experience in designing and facilitating capacity building processes, consultations and coordination processes;
- Excellent writing, editing and oral communication skills in English is required.